About Homework Club:
Village Arts created Homework Club to continue to offer a destination for families where students feel safe, inspired, and have fun. We also value the importance of study time for students and expect students to be quiet and behave while doing their homework or some other quiet activity. Overseeing the Homework Club program are Gina Wingate and her assistant (see below Gina’s bio). Gina is a long-time friend and colleague of Village Arts.
The program is also designed for kids to be kids: where they can play, create, be goofy or just hang out with a buddy once they have finished their work.
Homework Club Grades 1 – 5
- 2:30PM – 5:30PM M, W & Th. (3 hours per day)
- 1:30PM – 5:30PM Tuesday 4 hours (LAUSD Early Dismissal)
- Students are picked up at Colfax School and then escorted across the street to the Village Arts space on the campus of the Faith Presbyterian Church.
- Settling in for 15 minutes with snacks and gabbing with friends.
- A full hour of homework time. Students are required to stay quiet during this time and complete their homework. Homework help is available from our two adults that work with the students. If students do not have homework or have finished early they can read, draw, or play a quiet game.
- Playtime, games, Lego, art projects and more. We have a full room filled with supplies and games for kids to fully immerse themselves in various activities.
Biography for Gina Wingate, Homework Club Manager
Gina Wingate started her career as a costumer on TV and film. Her credits include Friends, Father of the Bride Part ll, and That Thing You Do! She put her career on hold to stay home with her son, Jet, and daughter, Cooper, while they were young. She became involved in their school, Colfax Charter, and volunteered for everything. She started Kidchella when her daughter was in 5th grade and has become one of Colfax’s biggest fundraisers. Gina has worked with special needs kids as a shadow and now has her Early Childhood Development certificate. Gina has costumed many Village Arts’ plays, including Mary Poppins, Shrek, and Fiddler on the Roof.
“Valley Village is the community where my prop master husband, Rick, and I chose to raise our kids, and Village Arts has become a big part of my life. I’m super excited to work with John & Pam on their new adventure, and I can’t wait to meet the kids!” -Gina
All Village Arts programs take place at Village Arts space on the campus of Faith Presbyterian Church of Valley Village